Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gwai lo in search of tasty, cheap food.

Did I mention our living space (a junior one bedroom suite) is super small, so we're out most of the time we're not sleeping.  Cooking is not really an option beyond toast, etc. (I bought my first appliance with HK plug...cool), so we go out to eat every night.  We're trying to find some place close that's not too expensive.  We're not really walking distance to many restaurants, so we have to go back downtown after I come home from work to change.  Fortunately, the taxi ride back to Central is about $2.80--cheaper than taking a bus even!

So far we've eaten at some awesome restaraunts in the Western district, but there's a hefty price tag, 'cause they're catering to "gwai lo" -- what Asians call Westerners (means white ghost).  According to Frommer's there's plenty of "hole in the wall" places that make excellent Asian fare, for a song.  I just need to find them.

Denise, I saw your FB post re Rasputin's and I plan to go.

I also discovered yesterday that where I thought all my colleagues were keeners 'cause they were still in the office at 5:45 on Wednesday, it turns out 6 p.m. is quittin' time here!  WTF!?  I guess it won't be too much different than working in Toronto, 'cause I generally put the extra time in anyway, but now I am "required" to do so.  Blah.

Getting up for work hasn't been a problem at all.  I wake up every freakin' day at 5 a.m., having gone to bed between 10 and 11.  I can't keep my eyes open beyond that...in fact, I'm exhausted by 9, and have to hang on a bit longer so I don't wake at 3!!

We're going to check out the south-east part of Hong Kong island on the weekend.  Apparently there's lovely rural beaches, etc., right in our own back yard.  Tally ho!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Not too many years ago HSBC Hong Kong staff also worked Saturday mornings!

    ReplyDelete